Poster Slam Presenter Instructions
If you’ve been selected to present your poster in the Poster Slam, please read the following instructions carefully.
The Poster Slam provides a unique opportunity to present your latest findings in a concise and entertaining fashion. Use this opportunity to share your research with the whole audience and highlight the importance of your work.
All Poster Slams will be presented in the main talk room prior to each poster session. During the Poster Slam you will be allowed ONE SLIDE and ONE MINUTE to advertise your poster and tell the audience why your work is important, provocative, and/or novel. You should state the main question and briefly summarize the key result.
The Poster Slams are lively and fast-paced. Your attentive and engaged participation is crucial for the session to run smoothly.
One Minute, Really?
Yes! You will have only 60 seconds to present, so you need to plan your Poster Slam presentation carefully. You will be allowed one slide to accompany your presentation and showcase your findings.
Choose your graphic and bullet points carefully (and sparingly). Please do not present an image of your entire poster on a slide. It will be too small and require too much time to present. Rather, present one slide that illustrates your method, a critical graph, or 4-5 bullet points that highlight your most important findings and/or a provocative implication of your work.
Embedded videos and animated GIFs are not allowed in your slide. PowerPoint animations are allowed only if the animation is additive, but not hiding or replacing material on your slide. In other words, the animation may not be used as a tool to bypass the one-slide constraint.
Your slide will be preceded by a “title slide” that contains your name and abstract title. You can save space on your slide by not repeating this information (although you are free to do so).
Prior to the Poster Slam, please practice your pitch and time yourself. Make sure you are within the one-minute time limit. It is essential that we limit the presentations to one minute in order to accommodate all participants. Your Poster Slam should leave your audience wanting more.
Uploading Your Slide
All Poster Slam slides must be uploaded prior to the meeting. Instructions for uploading your slide have been emailed to all Poster Slam presenters and are also shown below.
- Log in to your SNL Account.
- Under the title of the poster accepted for a slam presentation, click ‘Upload Your Poster Slam Slide’.
- Click ‘Browse,’ select a .pptx file to be uploaded, and then click ‘Upload.’
You must upload your slide No Later Than Sunday, August 11. If you miss this deadline you will forfeit your Poster Slam presentation. We cannot accommodate slide submissions or changes at the meeting; you must upload your slide prior to the deadline.
- The uploaded file must be a PowerPoint (.pptx) file containing a single slide.
- The slide should be in widescreen format (16:9 aspect ratio). If you submit a standard format slide (4:3 aspect ratio), it will still work, however it will not fill the screen horizontally.
- No embedded video or audio is allowed.
- PowerPoint animations are permissible as long as the animation is additive, not hiding or replacing material on your slide. In other words, the animation may not be used as a tool to bypass the one-slide constraint.
SNL will consolidate the uploaded slides into a single PowerPoint file prior to the meeting. The file will contain three slides for each presentation:
- Title Slide – This slide will display your name and abstract title and will be displayed prior to your slide. The moderator will display this slide while introducing you to the audience.
- Your Slide – This is the slide you uploaded. You will control the progression of this slide if it contains animations.
- Closing Slide – This slide has a black background and is used to indicate that your presentation is completed. This slide will be displayed by you progressing through your slide animations, or by the moderator if you have reached the 60 second time limit. This slide contains the number of your poster so the audience knows where to go to see your poster in the poster session following your presentation.
You must arrive in Finlandia Hall a minimum of 15 minutes before your Poster Slam Session (see the schedule below). Meet at the bottom of Aisle A, near the stage.
Each Poster Slam session will have a chair who will control the timing of the presentations and announce the speakers. Prior to the session, you will be instructed to line up near the stage in presentation order (based on your poster number). Once the session starts, the following process will repeat for each speaker.
- As soon as the previous speaker has finished, step up to the podium.
- The moderator will display the “title slide” for your presentation and introduce you by name.
- Immediately after introducing you, the moderator will advance the slide to your presentation.
- Begin your presentation as soon as the slide appears. You have 60 seconds to speak.
- If your slide has animations, use the space bar or right-arrow key to advance your animations.
- Following your slide, the “closing slide” will display. PLEASE STOP TALKING and walk off stage.
- The audience will clap ONCE, and the moderator will proceed to the next speaker.
Poster Slam Briefing Sessions
All Poster Slam presenters must attend a Briefing Session at the designated time for your Poster Slam Session (see below). Please assemble at Door A (the left-most door) of the main auditorium in the Finlandia Hall Foyer. SNL staff will meet you there and explain the logistics of the Poster Slam session, including where to line up, use of the microphone, timing, and so on. This is critical for the success of this fast-paced micro-session.
Note that the Briefing Session for Poster Slam C is the day before the Slam session.
|Session||Poster Slam Session||Briefing Session|
|A||Tuesday, August 20, 10:00 am||Tuesday, August 20, 8:30 am|
|B||Tuesday, August 20, 3:00 pm||Tuesday, August 20, 1:15 pm|
|C||Wednesday, August 21, 10:30 am||Tuesday, August 20, 1:15 pm|
|D||Wednesday, August 21, 5:00 pm||Wednesday, August 21, 3:45 pm|
|E||Thursday, August 22, 3:30 pm||Thursday, August 22, 1:30 pm|
For details on each presentation, see Poster Slam Sessions.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com.